Panko and Italian Herb~Crusted Perch Filets
- 4 lake or ocean perch (or any mild-flavored white fish)
- 1–1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp. lemon pepper seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. lemon zest
- 2 jumbo eggs
- 1/2 stick of butter (or more if desired)
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 stick butter
- juice from 1/2 lemon (or more if desired)
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- Blend all dry ingredients from the panko crumbs to the lemon zest in one medium sized bowl.
- In a second medium sized bowl, beat the eggs.
- Heat the butter and oil to hot on the stove OR pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Begin dipping the fish filets in the beaten eggs.
- Dip egg-washed fish filets into the panko-herb breading.
- Dip AGAIN into the eggs.
- Dip AGAIN into the breading.
- Place the breaded fish filets into the hot butter-oil, cover with a lid.
- Fry for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side, depending on the heat of the oil.
- Keep your eyes on the fish so that they cook until a nice golden brown color on each side.
- For the dipping sauce, melt the butter and add lemon juice and garlic.
- If you bake the fish, place them in a baking pan that has been sprayed with cooking oil.
- Bake until golden brown.
- Garnish with lemon slices or wedges.
- Serve with lemon-garlic butter and/or tartar sauce.