For me, the color green is probably the most beautiful color on earth! And Fresh Green Hericot Vert with Roasted Vegetables highlights a vivid hue of green so beautifully next to any entree!
When I lived in Arizona, someone once said to me in reference to the colors of the Southwestern landscape, “you’re either a green person or a brown person”, which at that time I realized that I’m definitely a ‘green’ person. In my natural surroundings, green just signifies life! But to many people at this time of year, the color green represents St. Patrick’s Day! So in honor of this great saint, I prepared a lovely and mouthwatering side dish.
I wanted to use the small and delicate French green beans, known to many as Haricots Vert. The peppers in the market right now are so shiny and bright that I had to add them to the green beans. Roasting veggies is the way to go for us; by doing so their flavor is enhanced to perfection! The beans are also lightly coated with a warm garlic-onion-herb mixture with just a touch of lemon zest. This dish is so easy and healthy! The vivid colors of the vegetables truly stole the show from the grilled salmon that I served them with. We could have eaten the ENTIRE platter of these wonderful crunchy beans!
- 1 pound thin green beans (Haricot Vert), trimmed
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 8 green onions, sliced thin
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp fresh Italian parsley, chopped fine
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped fine
- 2 Tbsp fresh chives, chopped fine
- 1 tsp. freshly grated lemon zest
- olive oil
- 1 medium sized tomato, diced
- ¼th of a red pepper, diced
- ¼th of a yellow pepper, diced
- Freshly grated sea salt and black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- In a large frying pan, melt the butter and then add the sliced green onions and garlic. On medium-low heat, saute the onions and garlic. Watch them carefully, so they do not turn brown, which by that time, the garlic is burned. Take them off the heat as soon as a hint of golden comes to the garlic. You will re-warm this just before adding the beans so that everything is warm.
- Meanwhile, coat a baking sheet with olive oil.
- Scatter the chopped peppers and tomatoes on the baking sheet and roll them around to coat them well.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper all over the vegetables.
- Place the baking pan with the veggies on a middle rack and roast for 10 minutes, stirring around occasionally to make sure that all sides of the vegetables are roasted.
- When water on the stove is boiling, add the Haricot Vert green beans, and cook for 4 minutes (or steam the beans, if you prefer).
- Immediately transfer the beans to the frying pan and coat completely with the warm garlic and onion mixture.
- Add the herbs and lemon zest to the bean mixture.
- Gently mix everything together so that the beans are coated with the herbs, zest, garlic and onion.
- Transfer the beans and garlic-onion-herb mixture to a platter.
- Scatter the roasted vegetables on top.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.
This is simply one of the most beautiful and delicious side dishes ever!!