Cranberries, beautiful little crimson red cranberries! They’re fresh in the market right now and I’m stocking up on them to use in some great recipes that have been featured in many cooking magazines this season. I have an old perennial cherished family recipe that simply must be baked for the holidays: my mother’s Cranberry Nut Bread.
So to share with you, here is one of my absolutely favorite Thanksgiving and Christmas family recipes. I bake batches and batches of this Cranberry Nut Bread Bread that our family just devours. They freeze beautifully and make wonderful gifts for friends, family, and neighbors.
If you like a little bit more of a sweet flavor to tone the sharp taste of the cranberries, then just drizzle a simple icing on top. When I was growing up, I’d just sprinkle sugar on top of a slice. It really is a great combination!
Cranberry Nut Bread is especially nice to give as gifts to folks who pop by with those surprise visits with a holiday gift in hand. You know, when you’re standing there thinking, “Oh my gosh, I need to reciprocate with something nice in return!” Well this little bread is the answer to your situation.
These were baked in the smallest loaf baking pan you can find. This also is great for gift giving! I’ve used these for years and they work perfectly!
Plus, it’s nice to know that something as delicious as fresh cranberries have such strong health benefits as well! These little red gems are packed with powerful antioxidants and cooking does NOT destroy their benefits!
So dig in, enjoy, and feel good about it all at the same time!
This is a lovely sweet bread filled with tart, juicy cranberries!. My mother always prepared this bread in huge batches to give as Christmas gifts to friends and family. For gifts, you’ll need to double, triple, and even quadruple this recipe! You can bake it when cranberries are at their height of flavor in October – December or (like I do) you can freeze cranberries and enjoy this tasty bread throughout the year.
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup chopped walntus
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cups milk
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed juice from an orange (not a carton or jug)
- 2 jumbo egggs
- 1–½ teaspoons vanilla
- Wash cranberries and then pulse to to slice and chop them in a food processor.
- Place the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Beat eggs.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl add milk, beaten eggs, melted butter, and vanilla.
- Stir the walnuts into flour mixture
- Then gently blend the cranberries in the flour-nut mixture
- Make a ‘well’ in the center of the cranberry-flour mixture.
- Pour in the wet egg mixture and with a fork, stir until dry ingredients are all moistened.
- Pour into small 3 x 5″ greased mini loaf pans.
- Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes or until golden borwn on top and when a toothpick or knife is inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool on wire racks.
Do you enjoy La Bella Vita Cucina?
We’d love to have you as part of our community!
Click here: La Bella Vita Cucina to get the latest recipes, travel tips and gardening ideas straight into your inbox!
Below I’m showing the photos that I took on my little point and shoot camera! Way back in 2010. What a photography journey!