- 3 lb. chuck roast (use a cut with lots of white marbling fat throughout)
- 1/2 stick of butter (more if necessary during searing of the beef)
- 1 Tbsp. Nature’s Seasons (seasoning)
- 1 Tbsp. Mrs. Dash (the original flavor, salt-free seasoning)
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 cup chopped garlic (either fresh or from the jar)
- 6 – 8 medium size potatoes, peeled and cut into 2” cubes OR 2 lbs. of small potatoes, left whole and unpeeled
- 10 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1” – 2″ pieces
- 8 stalks celery, sliced into 1 – 2” pieces
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut into 1/2” pieces
- 2 jars button mushrooms (crimini), fresh is also fine, remember to brush them clean
- 2 cups beef broth
- 24 – 32 oz. tomato puree
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp. “Better Than Bouillon”, beef flavor
- 1 tsp. “Kitchen Bouquet”
- 1 Tbsp, each: minced fresh thyme and rosemary
- 1/2 cup minced Italian parsley
- Melt butter in a large heavy pot on medium-high heat.
- Place chuck roast in pot and season on all sides.
- Sear on each side for about 5 minutes on each side, until a nice dark char (but not burned) surface forms.
- Transfer seared roast to slow cooker. If roasting in the oven instead, use the same pot.
- Layer the vegetables all around the roast. Add all remaining ingredients
- Cover and cook in a slow cooker on low heat for 8 – 9 hours OR roast in an oven heated to 275 F degrees for 3 hours minimum.
- Plate the roast and vegetables.
- Garnish with sprigs of fresh thyme and rosemary.