Here is a great Italian recipe worth preparing for your family: Chicken in Lemon Cream Sauce .
I like sauces on chicken to have a slightly LESS lemon flavor and to accomplish this I add cream to the sauce, along with capers and the addition of my favorite Italian spice blends. Since we love capers, this version is a little bit ‘Piccata’ too. But that’s what makes cooking so much fun — all the experimenting!
This recipe is truly one that would be served in an excellent Italian restaurant — it’s that yummy!
The chicken is so tender, the breading is so delicate, the combination of the lemon, cream and spices is just perfect.
Chicken in Lemon Cream Sauce
What You Need:
- 1-1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 cup flour
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb Blend
- Freshly ground Italian sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 lemon to 1-1/2 lemons
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth (brodo, which I prepare ahead and freeze)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup capers, drained
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Pasta, such as Fettuccine, Linguine or Spaghettini
- Freshly ground Parmigiana Reggiano (I grind ahead of time and freeze)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Get a large pot of water boiling for the pasta.
- Tenderize the chicken breasts by pounding them to a thickness of about 1/2" to 1" thick.
- In a flat bowl, mix the flour and cornstarch.
- Rinse the chicken breasts under cold water, but do not dry.
- Season to preference level of fresh sea salt, black pepper and Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb Blend.
- Dredge the seasoned chicken breasts in the flour mixture.
- In a large oven proof skillet over medium heat melt the butter and canola oil together.
- Add the chicken breasts and cook on each side until golden brown.
- Remove the chicken from the pan.
- Add the garlic and onion, saute over medium-low heat until tender and golden.
- Add the chicken back into the pan.
- Squeeze the juice of the lemons over the chicken breasts.
- Add the chicken broth.
- Add the cream.
- Add the capers.
- Season again with sea salt, black pepper and Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb Blend.
- Finish cooking the chicken breast and sauce in the oven about 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- While the chicken is baking, cook the pasta to "al dente" (to the tooth).
- When finished baking, take the pasta to the plates, lay the chicken breasts on top, ladle/spoon the sauce all over the chicken and the pasta.
- Sprinkle freshly grated Parmigiana Regiano cheese on the chicken and pasta.
- Garnish with chopped Italian parsley and slivers of lemon rind or slices of fresh lemon.