Have you got a sweetie in your life that has a sweet tooth?
Well, my husband is in good company then! And since it is Father’s Day, I knew that baking him a pie would be just the thing to bring a HUGE smile to his face!
My rhubarb plants have gone absolutely crazy this year and the strawberries are gorgeous, so what else? A Strawberry, Rhubarb and Mascarpone Cream Pie!
The father of my children is of ‘the age’ where he isn’t asking for any gifts, but anytime I ask him what he’d like for me to make for him, he’ll ALWAYS ask for something sweet and baked from the oven.
Perfecto! My kind of gift! Something to make any father’s tummy happy . . . happy . . . HAPPY!
The father in your life will definitely feel the love with this sweet gift.
Just look how pretty this pie is BEFORE popping it in the oven!
I love to bake and need to bake more often. I’m the savory-preference person in this duo and forget how fun baking something sweet is!
In honor of Father’s Day, this week’s Sunday Supper theme is perfectly appropriate: “Man Food”!
Well, this may not be a huge beef steak sizzlin’ from the grill, but this is man food enough for my guy, plus the gals in my life love strawberry rhubarb desserts too.
What You Need:
- 4 cups flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- 4 Tbsp. sugar
- 1-½ cup cold butter, sliced
- 1 jumbo-sized egg yolk
- 7 Tbsp. buttermilk
- 1-½ tsp. vanilla
- 1 egg beaten with a little water, about a teaspoon.
- Sugar sprinkled on top (heavily sprinkled)
- 3 cups fresh rhubarb, cleaned, and cut into ½" pieces
- 4 - 5 cups fresh strawberries, cleaned, stems removed, sliced in half
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ tsp. slat
- ½ cup corn starch
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups mascarpone cheese
- ¾ - 1 cup heavy cream, depending on how thick/thin you like your topping
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Place in a bowl of a food processor: flour, salt, and sugar. Pulse to combine.
- Add butter slices and pulse until the mixture looks like bread crumbs.
- Whisk together the buttermilk, egg yolk and vanilla in a bowl.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture in the food processor bowl. Pulse until the crust mixture sticks together in small crumbly clumps. If necessary add more buttermilk if dry, or flour if too wet.
- Flatten the crust dough into two separate circles of dough and then wrap them individually in plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour minimum.
- Combine rhubarb with strawberries in a large mixing bowl.
- Add sugar, brown sugar, salt, corn starch and vanilla.
- Stir gently until all fruit is coated.
- Remove the chilled crust dough from the frig after at least one hour.
- Place a long piece of parchment paper on the workspace and put one of the dough discs on top and then place another long piece of parchment paper on top of the dough.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough into a circle that will fit your pie pan with a little extra.
- Peel off the top parchment paper layer. Be very careful and sprinkle the top of the dough with flour and place the paper back on top and flip it over.
- With care, peel of the new top piece of parchment paper and carefully place the dough in an unbuttered pie baking dish.
- Press the crust dough into the baking dish and trim any excess dough off of the sides.
- Drain the liquids from the rhubarb and strawberry mixture.
- Scoop the fruit onto the pie crust dough.
- With the second circular disc of dough, use the same methods above to roll out the top crust layer.
- Cut strips approximately ½" wide and then weave into a lattice-top crust.
- Brush the top of the crust with the egg wash. Sprinkle very generously with sugar.
- Bake for 20 minutes in the lowest rack of the oven at 390 F.
- Keep an eye on the crust to prevent burning; place aluminum foil on the top as soon as it begins to look like it is getting too dark and not a golden brown.
- Reduce the oven temperature after 20 minutes to 350 F and bake for another 40 minutes when the juices bubble and the crust is golden brown.
- Combine the mascarpone cheese with cream, sugar and vanilla; mix until thickened.
- Remove pie from oven and allow to cool.
- Top with the sweet mascarpone cream.
I hope that you enjoy the rest of the recipes for “Man Food” prepared by all those who participated this week!
- BBQ Chicken Nacho by Country Girl in The Kitchen
- Beer Battered Fried Mushrooms by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Burrata Bresaola and Arugula Appetizer by Family Foodie
- Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce by Hip Foodie Mom
- Chipotle Pork Belly-Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Beer-Battered Prawns with Spicy Marmalade by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Devils on Horseback by Nosh My Way
- Fried Pickles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Garlic and Herb Wine Jelly by What Smells So Good?
- Maple Sriracha Chicken Wings by Manu’s Menu
- Tomato Bacon Jam by Feed Me, Seymour
- Bacon Bourbon BBQ Burgers by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Bacon Cheeseburger Crustless Quiche by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Beef Barbacoa by Casa de Crews
- Beef Short Rib Sandwich by Life Tastes Good
- Beer Brats with Pepper Relish by Jelly Toast
- Beer Can Chicken by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chicago Style-Pizza by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chili Dog Casserole by Simple Gourmet
- Chipotle Pork Chops by girlichef
- Coconut & Lime Grilled Shrimp Skewers by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Colossal Burger by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gluten Free Lemon Pepper Wings by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Chipotle Chicken Pizza by Peaceful Cooking
- Grilled Lobster with Miso Butter by Kimchi MOM
- Grilled Sweet Guava Chicken by The Foodie Army Wife
- Ham and Pineapple Pizza Pockets by gotta get baked
- Huevos Rancheros Casserole by Pescetarian Journal
- Lacquered Short Ribs in the Slow Cooker by Shockingly Delicious
- Maple Chipotle Barbecue Pork Tenderloin by Flavor Mosaic
- Meatball Burger on Garlic Bread by Healthy.Delicious.
- Mom’s Slow Roasted Brisket by Food Lust People Love
- Perfectly Pan Seared Steak by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Pollo al Peperoncino by Run DMT
- Polish Coal Miner Piggies (Stuffed Cabbage Rolls- Golabki) by Rants from my Crazy Kitchen
- Red Chile Shredded Chicken Tacos. How to win over your man’s stomach and steal his heart. by Simply Healthy Family
- Ropa Vieja by Meal Diva
- Salt of the Earth Ribs by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Salisbury Steak w/ Loaded Mashed Potatoes and Mushroom Gravy by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Smoked Turkey Drumsticks by Cindy’s Recipes and Writing
- Stuffed Chipotle Bacon Cheese Burgers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Stuffed Pork Chops by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Tex-Mex Gut Buster Chili by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- The Cleveland Hogg Burger by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Beer Funnel Cake by Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Black Forest Cake by Noshing with the Nolands
- Carob Chip Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Chunky Monkey Vegan Banana Bread by Ninjabaking.com
- Classic Cheesecake by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Fat Man’s Pie by Magnolia Days
- Mandarin orange cake aka southern pig pickin’ cake by Baking & Browning
- Pizookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Pound Cake Stacks with Roasted Strawberries by Melanie Makes
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie With Mascarpone Cream by La Bella Vita Cucina
Wine Pairings for Man Food #SundaySupper byENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.