Burgers with Smoky Bacon, Basil and Gorgonzola Cheese
- 1 – 2 lbs. of the highest quality of ground bison beef/sirloin.
- Garlic powder
- Dried oregano
- 1/2 pound Italian Gorgonzola cheese
- Large hamburger buns
- 1 – 2 lbs. thick-cut smoked bacon, cooked until a crispy brown color develops
- 6 tomatoes
- 12 – 15 large fresh basil leaves
- condiments of your choice: pickle slices, mustard, ketchup, onions, mayonnaise, etc.
- Form huge ½ pound patties of burgers.
- Season them the way you like, I add some garlic and oregano.
- Grill to the level of doneness that you prefer (we like ours medium-rare).
- Near the end of being cooked, place Gorgonzola cheese on top of the burgers (it is soft and melts fast).
- Use huge hamburger buns!
- Toast the buns very briefly (this prevents them from becoming soggy from the beef and tomato juices).
- Lay lettuce leaves on the bottom half of the bun.
- Layer on the well-cooked, browned, thick-cut, smoked bacon.
- Place the cooked burger with melted cheese (use the microwave if you have to) on top of bacon and lettuce.
- Layer on thick-cut ripe tomatoes.
- Layer on big, fresh basil leaves.
- Place the top half of the bun on top.
- For this I recommend a nice, simple mixture of extra virgin olive oil and minced garlic to spread on each half of the bun.
- Tip: Put a small indentation about the size of an inch and a half in the center of each burger. As the burgers cook, this pops out and the center of your burgers cook better.