Watermelon, Gorgonzola and Basil Salad
The scorching hot days of August just scream, “Time for ice-cold watermelon!”
Growing up, we loved biting into thick slices of watermelon. Sweet juices dripped down our faces as the mercury rose. The watermelon was SO COLD because my dad kept it covered in a huge tub of ice water.
Summer just isn’t summer without devouring watermelon in reckless abandon in my humble opinion.
As kids, we used to have seed spitting contests to see who could spit a seed the furthest. And now, we enjoy ‘seedless’ varieties that are so much easier to use in the kitchen . . . with fond memories of spitting seeds!
Now watermelon salads are nothing new in the world of foodies, but my version declares: “MOVE OVER FETA CHEESE”! There’s a better creamy cheese that takes this salad miles-high over the top!
Italian Gorgonzola! Sweet and juicy meets savory and creamy!
Feta just pales in comparison to the tang of Gorgonzola.
Add some fresh, crisp slices of red onion to get some added crunch and you’ll hear some taste buds singing!
Perfectly simple . . . and perfectly refreshing!
- 8 cups of fresh watermelon, cut into cubes
- 1 small red onion, sliced ¼" thick
- 1 cup crumbled Italian Gorgonzola cheese
- 10 - 15 leaves of fresh basil, cut into small pieces
- Balsamic vinaigrette (homemade or store-bought brand of choice)
- Place all ingredients on individual salad plates.
- Either drizzle the vinaigrette sparingly all over the individual salads, or pass around for guests to serve themselves.