- 1 cup butter
1 cup butter
- 1-1/2 cup sugar, plus extra for sprinkling on the pre-cooked biscotti
1-1/2 cup sugar, plus extra for sprinkling on the pre-cooked biscotti
- 3 eggs for the biscotti mixture, plus 1 egg for brushing on the pre-cooked biscotti
3 eggs for the biscotti mixture, plus 1 egg for brushing on the pre-cooked biscotti
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla or vanilla extract
2 tsp. pure vanilla or vanilla extract
- 4 cups flour
4 cups flour
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 cup amaretto liquor
1/4 cup amaretto liquor
- 1-1/2 cups dried cranberries
1-1/2 cups dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chips or 7 squares of white chocolate
3/4 cup white chocolate chips or 7 squares of white chocolate
- 1-1/4 cups shelled pistachios
1-1/4 cups shelled pistachios
- 1 – 2 cups of melted white chocolate
1 – 2 cups of melted white chocolate
- Red and Green colored sugar or sprinkles (optional for Christmas)
- In a large bowl, blend the butter and sugar well.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Add in the vanilla and amaretto liquor.
- In a separate bowl combine the four, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Slowly blend in the flour mixture into the butter-sugar mixture and mix well.
- Fold in the cranberries, white chocolate and pistachios; dough will be sticky.
- Divide dough into two to three equal sized portions.
- On a floured surface or cutting board, shape each portion into a long 2-1/2" wide logs; these expand while baking, so shape the logs according to your preference.
- With your hands, gently ‘flatten’ each of the logs a little bit.
- Brush a beaten egg on each log and generously sprinkle sugar on top of each log.
- Carefully place logs on an ungreased baking sheet, spaced 3 inches apart.
- Bake at 350 degrees (F) for 25 minutes or until firm and lightly brown on the edges.
- Cool for 5 minutes.
- While warm, yet cool enough to handle with your hands, transfer logs to a cutting board.
- With very little pressure, use a serrated knife to cut the logs diagonally into 1? slices.
- Allow the knife to do the work for you and do not press down on the biscotti so they don’t break.
- Place the slices ‘cut-side’ down on the ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown and remove from the oven to turn each over.
- Return the slices to the oven and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set the biscotti on wire racks to cool.
- Melt chocolate in the top of a double boiler over simmering water.
- Remove chocolate from the heat.
- With a fork, drizzle the chocolate over biscotti and/or dip the biscotti into the chocolate on one end of each.
- Place the chocolate dipped or drizzled biscotti on wax or parchment paper and allow to set for about 30 minutes.
- For Christmas, sprinkle your favorite red and green colored sugar or sprinkles on the warm chocolate.
- For Easter or springtime, you can also choose to use pink, yellow, lavender, or green).
- Store in an airtight container for up to one month or freeze them for later.
Do you enjoy La Bella Vita Cucina?
We’d love to have you as part of our community!
Click here: La Bella Vita Cucina to get the latest recipes, travel tips and gardening ideas straight into your inbox!