Crispy Garlic Parmesan Zucchini Chips with Roasted Garlic and Basil Aioli
How much do you love zucchini? Let me count the ways! At least a million recipes can be prepared to use up those overly multiplying green monsters in the garden! And one that I know that you’ll love is: Crispy Garlic Parmesan Zucchini Chips with Roasted Garlic and Basil Aioli!
Recently I came across a recipe that I adapted from Closet Kitchen. I made several adjustments to really make the flavors sing more robustly. I used Italian-flavored panko instead of regular, unflavored panko. I added garlic to the breading and made my version of aioli for dipping the zucchini chips. What I came up with is a nice appetizer, Crispy Garlic Parmesan Zucchini Chips with Roasted Garlic and Basil Aioli!
And just what is ‘aioli’? Well, it’s a fancy name for garlic-y mayonnaise! This aioli recipe is made easier with ready-made mayonnaise or you could use your own home-made mayonnaise. I added some roasted garlic to amp up the flavor and wow, what a difference it made!
To roast garlic and really enhance its flavor, here’s how you do it:
- Peel any loose outer skins from the garlic head and cut off the top quarter to expose the cloves.
- Place the head cut-side up on a piece of foil, drizzle with 2 teaspoons of the olive oil, and wrap tightly to form a foil packet.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake until the garlic cloves are golden brown and very tender, about 60 to 75 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, open the packet, and let the garlic sit until it’s cool enough to handle.
- Squeeze the roasted cloves from their skins into a small bowl.
Easy to make, ready to share in less than 20 minutes, and when served hot, these zucchini chips are a great veggie treat that are fun to eat with their super crispy texture!
The color of these zucchini chips is so gorgeous!
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3 jumbo eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano cheese, grated
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons freshly minced basil
- 2 cloves of roasted garlic, smashed and minced
- ½ teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- several pinches of freshly grated sea salt and black pepper
- Coat zucchini slices in flour, gently patting down so the flour sticks to the zucchini chips.
- Dip the coated zucchini chips in eggs.
- Then dredge the zucchini chips in the panko crumbs mixed with parmigiano reggiano cheese, garlic powder, lemon zest and salt and pepper.
- Fry the coated zucchini slices in oil until lightly golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side or place them on a wire rack on a baking pan, spray lightly with oil and bake in a preheated 425 F oven until lightly golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Allow fried or baked zucchini chips to set on paper towels for a minute to remove any excess oil.
- Blend the mayonnaise, minced roasted garlic, lemon juice, and basil.
- Salt and pepper the zucchini chips and serve with the basil aioli while hot.
- Very adapted from Closet Cooking recipe for Crispy Lemon Parmesan Zucchini Chips with Basil Aioli
Enjoy these Crispy Garlic Parmesan Zucchini Chips with Roasted Garlic and Basil Aioli
Enjoy these Crispy Garlic Parmesan Zucchini Chips with Roasted Garlic and Basil Aioli.