Raspberry and Italian Mascarpone Stuffed French Toast!

After a long, wonderful afternoon outside in the garden, my husband and I just lazily sat and watched college basketball all night.  Well, actually my husband watched hoop games, while I read blogs and cookbooks!  And because I had just bought a large package of perfectly ripe, red raspberries, I decided to break away from the sofa and make something special for breakfast.  We really enjoy a good stuffed, baked french toast and that’s where my mind wandered.

All of the ingredients were on hand, so at 10:00 PM, I didn’t have to run to the store.  This French toast casserole is just a snap to put together in order to set in the frig overnight.  A simple layering of bread, cheese, and raspberries swimming in a pool of eggs and cream.  A thick raspberry sauce is ladled on top after baking.  That’s all there is to it!

You’re going to love this, in fact, it could even pass as a bread pudding dessert!  My husband and I ate a second piece . . . directly out of the pan!

Raspberries and mascarpone cheese
 peaking out from the bread slices after baking!
A thick, sugar-sweet and buttery-smooth raspberry sauce
 to pour over the stuffed, baked French toast
Mmmm, ready to dig in!
Raspberry & Italian Mascarpone Stuffed French Toast!

What You Need:

For The Stuffed French Toast:
  • Cooking spray
  • 12 slices white bread, cut into pieces (best to use a hardier bread such as Italian or Challah, older bread is also good to use)
  • 2 (8oz) packages mascarpone, scooped out into chunks
  • 2 cups fresh raspberries, divided
  • 12 eggs, beaten
  • 2 cups half and half
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • For The Raspberry Sauce:
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 4 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 3 Tbsp. butter

Instructions

• Coat bottom and sides of 7x11" or 9x13" baking dish with cooking spray (if using the smaller size, bake it much longer due to the depth of the ingredients - - nearly one hour).
  • Place half of the bread pieces in the dish.
  • Scatter the chunks of cheese over the bread.
  • Scatter 1 cup of the berries over the mascarpone cheese.
  • Top with the remaining bread cubes.
  • In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, and syrup.
  • Pour over the bread mixture.
  • With a flat spatula, gently push down the bread so that every piece is soaked in the egg-cream-syrup mixture.
  • Cover and refrigerate overnight.
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  • Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
  • Remove foil and bake 30 minutes or more until puffed up.
  • ** As mentioned above, if using the smaller baking pan size, as I did, the baking time is nearly one hour. I also turned the oven up to 375 during the last half hour of baking.
  • For The Raspberry Sauce:
  • Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, whisk together the water, sugar, and cornstarch. Bring to a boil over medium high heat or until thickened.
  • Gently fold in the remaining 1 cup raspberries and the butter.
  • Stir until the butter melts.
  • Remove the French toast from the oven and serve immediately with the sauce.

I serve this French toast alongside our favorite sausage and thick-cut hickory-smoked bacon.  A cold glass of fresh orange juice tops this breakfast off along with your favorite hot cup of java!

Raspberry and Italian Mascarpone Stuffed French Toast

share the love my friends! Thanks!Pin on Pinterest83Google+0Share on Facebook24Tweet about this on Twitter0

Comments

What a lovely way to start the day, Roz. Your recipe looks beautiful and sounds delicious. That combination is impossible to beat. I hope you have a great day. Blessings…Mary

I am so glad the first day of spring is here so that I can go out and start working on my raspberry patch! I have a rather large patch in what my husband calls my “Gorchard” and come July/August we are eating red raspberries every day!

I am always looking for more ways to use them and integrate them into my dinner plans, and my boys will sure love this recipe!

Thanks!

Penny

Roz – This is just the recipe that would get me off the couch too :) I love all breakfasts foods and this look so incredible. I love it!

I don’t know if you appreciate the growling stomachs that you created with this fantastic recipe! I definitely should not be commenting at breakfast time!

Thanks for sharing at the hearth and soul hop.

Roz, I’m visiting from Friday’s Favourites. My post for today’s link was a custard bread pudding with berries. Your recipe just looks delicious and I will be giving it a try soon. Thanks so much for sharing it.

Becky

Hi Roz, This has to be delicious! It looks wonderful. If only I could cook!

You asked about a fabric and I’d hoped I could find the name for you but as many scraps as I have, I do not have a single selvage left with the name on it. It came RichTex Fabrics in Daphne, AL. They have a .com but I didn’t see it on there. I’m keeping you email in case they still have it the next time I’m in town.
    Lindy

Oh my goodness Roz- I’m left speechless! This looks amazing and sounds scrumptious! I could eat that whole dish myself. Mascarpone is one of my very favorites. I love spreading this over a piece of crusty Italian bread!
    I’m sure this was just splendid!

xx,
    Tammy

Hi Roz,
    My “Honey Bunny” and I have evenings like that, me and my lap top him and his football, or hoops and sometimes golf. It’s great! I have been standing in line here to have a serving of your wonderful Raspberry & Italian Stuffed French Toast. This is really a great recipe that will be on my table soon. Your photo’s are awesome!
    Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

This is a recipe, one wants to run to the kitchen, as soon as one looks at the photos. I surely do.

Thanks for linking this up to My Meatless Monday. Take a peek tomorrow. We are featuring this recipe.

Wow! I love that you did a baked version. I’ve only seen recipes for the individual sandwich type. I’m going to have to try this. It does look wonderful! I love the raspberry & mascarpone. Thanks for commenting on my blog. I can’t wait to look through your other recipes and beautiful photos!

Trackbacks