- Eat more fruits and veggies!
- Eat more lean meats and (as recommended) only one meat a week from a 4-legged animal . . . Mr. M. and P. has to suffer without his red meat. I’ll suffer more without my pork! So it’s hello to more chicken, turkey, fish, and vegetarian recipes.
- Eliminate as much processed food as possible (no problem there)!
- No fast food! Doable!
- And more! I can’t and do not want to list all of the proven strategies for improving our nutrition. I’ll leave that to the tons of healthy nutrition lists on-line and in the plethora of nutrition and health books on the market!
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 Tbsp. Jalapeno Cilantro Hummus (available at Whole Foods)
- 4 – 6 oz. sliced smoked turkey breast
- lettuce or spinach leaves (your choice)
- 1/2 an avocado, sliced
- 2 – 3 tomato slices
- a few shakes of Mrs. Dash Spicy Southwestern Spices no-salt blend
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Toast bread
- Spread the hummus on both slices of bread.
- Layer each ingredient.
- Sprinkle on Mrs. Dash and salt and pepper to taste!
- Make any changes that you like!
- Enjoy! This is very good, very filling, and has quite a nice kick to it!
- There is no cheese in this sandwich (which causes me to frown) and there is no mayonnaise. The flavorful hummus and creamy avocado made up the difference very well!
And here’s the very first green smoothie concoction that I have ever made. This was for a different lunch this past weekend and it is surprisingly delicious and filling! Again, I cannot tell a lie! Very easy, and quite fun to make as well.
- 1 - 2 bananas
- 1/2 cup frozen peaches
- 1/2 cup frozen mango
- a couple handfuls of spinach
- 1/4 cup of water
- ice (if desired)
- Add more water if necessary
- For this recipe, I used a mini food processor and followed up with my trusty boat motor immersion blender to chop up the spinach leaves more.
- The results were just fine.