Do you ever wonder what makes a great salad?
After having years of trying hundreds of various recipes, I’ve got some serious demands for what to include to make a salad a GREAT SALAD!
Here are my 7 tips for preparing a great salad:
1. Use a variety of fresh lettuce, with different shapes and colors.
2. Include a protein such as fish, chicken, chopped hard-boiled eggs, chopped thick, smoked bacon or prosciutto (tofu if you prefer meatless salads).
3. Add another vegetable or two — avocado chunks, red peppers, red onions, cucumbers, etc.
4. Add in nuts — we love both slivered almonds and praline sugared pecans.
5. Include fruit — dried cranberries or fresh strawberries and cherries are superb!
6. Garnish with cheese — shaved manchego, Parmigiano or clumps of gorgonzola/blue cheese or goat cheese.
7. Drizzle on a wonderful vinaigrette (homemade is best).
These are just the foundation of a superb mixed salad, and if you go by this list of ingredients, you can make adjustments for your own taste preferences.
So with those 7 tips for a great salad, this fabulous Grilled Salmon with Mixed Green Salad was created for tonight’s dinner.
Healthy too! But you’d never know!
- 1 salmon filet, grilled
- 2 cups mixed greens lettuce
- ¼ red grapefruit, sectioned and cut in half
- ½ avocado, cubed
- ¼ dried cranberries
- ¼ cup praline pecans
- 2 Tbsp. shaved Manchego cheese
- Viniagrette of choice
- Grill salmon.
- While salmon is grilling, place a nice bed of lettuce on salad plates.
- Place grapefruit and salmon on top of lettuce.
- Sprinkle dried cranberries, praline pecans, and shaved cheese all over the salad.
- Drizzle vinaigrette of choice on top of salad.
So there are 7 tips for a great salad with a grilled salmon salad with mixed greens to show how to put the ingredients all together!
Here are a few more delicious salads that follow the same tips that I know you’ll enjoy!
Let me know what I’m missing! What do YOU insist on being included in a great mixed salad?