There’s simply nothing like fresh fruits and vegetables! The flavors are so much more intense and the way they are meant to taste without any additives and/or preservatives! And if there is only one fresh fruit and/or vegetable that is a must-eat for me while in Hawaii, it is pineapple! It’s the very first food item that we purchase in the marketplace! I enjoy pineapple simply cut up into cubes, but my husband doesn’t, so I knew that I needed to either grill, bake or cook some pineapple in a different way to get him to eat it!
So with fresh macadamia nut ice cream on hand, the logical thing to create was a pineapple sundae of some sort. So I came up with this idea: slice up some of the pineapple pound cake that my husband bought, serve it ala mode with mac nut ice cream, pour over those with a brown sugar-butter caramel sauce with sauteed pineapples, some banana slices and sprinkled chopped macadamia nuts! The end creation: Pineapple Cake with Macadamia Nut Ice Cream and Caramel Pineapple Sauce! It was sweet, loaded, and decadent! Plus this recipe was fast and easy . . . I just made it up as I went with what I had on hand in our mini-kitchen (I did run across the street to the store to pick up a small bag of brown sugar and a tiny container of cinnamon that I can pack back home). My husband was in Hawaiian pineapple paradise! I was in sugar-high-overdose mode, but the caramel sauce was worth every second. This is so “ONO”, which means ‘delicious’ in Hawaiian!
- 12 Tbsp. butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. cream or whole milk
- 2 slices of fresh pineapple, core removed, cut into cubes
- 1 fresh banana, sliced
- Pineapple pound cake - purchased or homemade
- Macadamia Nut ice cream - purchase or homemade
- chopped macadamia nuts
- In a very warm saucepan, melt the butter, but do not burn.
- Add the brown sugar and stir well.
- Add the cinnamon and cream/milk.
- Stir well again.
- Add the pineapple cubes and saute for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- In individual bowls, place a slice or two of pineapple cake.
- Place a scoop or two of macadamia nut ice cream on top of the cake slices.
- Sprinkle the banana slices on top of these.
- Pour on the pineapple-caramel sauce.
- Sprinkle with chopped macadamia nuts.
- Garnish: orchids or mint if you have them