This is literally the most heavenly of soups. Silky eggs combined with fresh Italian Parmigiano cheese provide the base for delicious tiny meatballs, tiny Italian pasta, spinach, herbs, and garlic to swim in! Everyone will ask for seconds . . . or thirds!
For the Meatballs:
- Ground Beef – 8 oz.
- Ground Pork – 8 oz.
- Parmigiano Cheese – 2 – 3 cups, freshly grated fine
- Pecorino Cheese – 1 cup, freshly grated fine
- Olive oil – 4 Tbsp. for sauteing
- Onion – 1 medium, minced
- Italian Parsley – 1 bunch, cleaned, stems removed, minced
- Basil – 4 oz. minced
- Oregano – 2 oz. minced
- Egg – 1 jumbo/large, whipped
- Garlic – 4 large cloves, minced
- Breadcrumbs or Panko – 1 cup
- Salt – 1 Tbsp. freshly cracked
- Pepper – 1 tsp. freshly cracked
- Red Pepper Flakes – 1 tsp
For The Soup Broth:
- Chicken Broth – 12 cups
- Chicken Bouillon – 2 Tbsp. “Better Than Bouillon”
- Carrots -2 carrots chopped into tiny pieces
- Celery – 2 stalks chopped into tiny pieces
- Baby Spinach – 1 lb. fresh and sliced into ¼” slivers
- Basil, Oregano, Garlic – 2 oz. each, minced
- Salt – 1 teaspoon and then taste at the and if necessary to add more
- 1 large 2″ chunk of Parmigiano cheese
- Tiny Italian Pasta such as Pastina – 1 cup
- Eggs – 2 jumbo/large eggs
- Parmigiano cheese – ¼ cup grated
Set aside some time to make the meatballs, the most time-consuming part of this delicious soup recipe…..or skip this and use store-bought meatballs if you are crunched for time.
Prepare the Meatballs (can be done ahead, frozen and used when you need them):
- In a large mixing bowl, thoroughly mix the ground beef, ground pork, Parmigianno and Pecorino cheese with the minced onion, Italian parsley, basil, oregano, garlic, breadcrumbs, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, and egg.
- Form tiny little meatballs into the size that you prefer.
- Pour the olive oil into the Instant Pot and saute’ the meatballs until browned on all sides according to your preference for doneness. You may also do this in a large frying pan on a regular stove.
For The Soup Broth:
- Once the meatballs are browned, add them to the Instant Pot.
- Pour in the chicken broth and chicken bouillon.
- Add chopped carrots and celery.
- Add chopped baby spinach.
- Add 2 oz. of minced basil, oregano, and garlic.
- Add salt.
- Add the chunk of Parmigiano cheese.
- Put Instant Pot on ‘soup’ for 10 minutes.
- Add the tiny Italian pasta and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Blend the eggs and the Parmigiano cheese together.
- Pour into the hot soup and gently whisk them in for a minute.
- Remove what is left of the large chunk of Parmigano cheese.
- Serve immediately freshly grated Parmigiano cheese and a drizzle of good extra virgin olive oil.
- Toasted garlic bread is also a welcome addition.
This is truly Italian comfort food that I know that your family and guests will truly enjoy!
Please follow me on Instagram to see what else I’m cooking up!
- Serving Size: 1-½ cup
- Calories: 400
- Sugar: 0
Keywords: Italian Wedding Soup, Instant Pot, Italian Soup