- 4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil or butter
- 2 (4-ounce) packages dried porcini mushrooms, reconstituted, drained, chopped
- 1 8-oz. pre-sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 tsp. minced fresh thyme
- ½ tsp. minced fresh oregano
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ cup chicken broth (optional)
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 – 3 cups instant polenta (depending on the consistency you prefer)
- 2 –3 cups shredded fontina cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoon salt
Prepare the mushrooms
- Heat oil/butter in a skillet over high heat.
- Reconstitute the dried mushrooms in hot water, drain and squeeze out excess water.
- Chop mushrooms.
- Add all of the mushrooms to the hot oil/butter and sauté for about 4 minutes.
- Add herbs and garlic; sauté 1 minute.
- Stir in broth (optional), salt, and pepper.
For the polenta
- In another large heavy saucepan, bring milk and 1cup of broth to a boil.
- Stir in polenta; cook 4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in half of cheese and salt.
- Divide polenta among 4 gratin dishes; top with remaining cheese.
- Broil 5 minutes in the oven set on ‘broil’.
- Top each serving with sautéed mushrooms.
- I would like to thank my mother, now departed from this earth, for helping me plate and style the photography of these delicious Italian tarts.