Nothing can be more summery than fresh-from-the-garden, vine-ripened tomatoes! This recipe for Italian Bruschetta Chicken is guaranteed to be one of your repeat dishes every summer. Juicy, grilled chicken topped with fresh bruschetta is not only delicious, but it’s also easy, healthy, and light (and NO carbs)!
Talk about easy?
You simply take some chicken breasts and season them lightly with freshly minced Italian herbs and then grill them. Once grilled, just ladle some garden-fresh tomato Bruschetta on top. I only use my family’s Bruschetta recipe. I LOVE this Bruschetta! Here’s the recipe that I’ve shared before on my blog (photo below) –>: Classic Bruschetta
Once your chicken is grilled, top each piece with thin Fontina or Mozzarella cheese to melt nicely over the hot chicken (or you can also pass around the cheese at the table too). After the cheese melts, then put a layer of Bruschetta on top of the cheese.
One key thing to remember whether you add cheese or not: Make your Bruschetta in advance so that all of those lovely fresh flavors marry together perfectly! Time is an advantage while you prep for your guests!
The perfect finishing touch is a drizzle of good quality, thick Balsamic Vinegar!
What is Italian Bruschetta Chicken?
Actually, Bruschetta is the most amazingly delicious Italian ‘antipasto’ appetizer/finger food that’s enjoyed on top of slices of Italian or French bread. It’s one of the best ways to showcase tomatoes when in season! Ripe, ruby-red, tomatoes and garden-fresh basil are the stars of the show in Bruschetta. Basically, you just drizzle bread slices with extra virgin olive oil, rub with fresh garlic, roast or grill the bread, and then top each slice with the bruschetta mixture.
So in a nutshell, Bruschetta Chicken is an easy recipe of grilled chicken topped with the Bruschetta! It’s literally taking a classic Italian appetizer and turning it into a main entree!
And if you don’t want to grill your chicken, you can always bake it in the oven or sear it nicely in a hot skillet on the stovetop……whatever is easiest for YOU!
As you can see, we really like a lot of Bruschetta on the grilled chicken. By doing so, you have plenty more of the tomato/basil/garlic mixture to top additional toasted, garlic-rubbed bread! So don’t forget to serve with some freshly toasted Italian bread slices! If you’ve got some extra garlic cloves on hand, make sure that you rub the garlic cloves all over the bread slices!
Tips on How To Make The Perfect Italian Bruschetta Chicken:
- Prepare the tomato/basil/garlic mixture first.
- Only use the freshest, ripest, summer tomatoes. If you can’t find the best summer-fresh tomatoes, try to use imported Italian San Marzano tomatoes (available online). However, if you can’t get San Marzano tomatoes, then use fresh Roma tomatoes. Both of these varieties of tomatoes are easier to cut and won’t turn into a mushy topping.
- Use a good blend of dried Italian herbs (oregano, basil, parsley, rosemary), or Italian seasoning (or a little of both).
- Not a fan of onion? No problem! Replace with finely chopped garlic!
- Use freshly sliced Fontina, Mozzarella, and/or Parmigiana (parmesan) cheese. A vegetable peeler is great for more thinly shaved cheese slices.
- Either grill or bake the chicken. Grilling really brings out a nice, complimentary smoky flavor for the chicken.
- Use the best Balsamic Vinegar or Glaze that you can find and afford. It truly makes such a difference! You can find it in your food store or online. It’s addicting!
What to Serve with Italian Bruschetta Chicken?
Serve any of your favorite side dishes, but here are the most highly recommended side dishes that pair very nicely with Bruschetta Chicken.
- Roasted Italian Potatoes with Garlic and Rosemary
- Asparagus with Lemon and Garlic
- Pasta dressed in plain butter and garlic (the tomatoes are already in the sauce)
I’ve been so blessed to have my family in Modena, Italy (where authentic D.O.P. “Aceto di Balsamico” — Balsamic Vinegar is produced) and who have shared some of their precious, ancient barrels of Balsamic Vinegar with me. I use this old, sweet vinegar with reverence and in sparing amounts!
From my famiglia’s Modena, Italy home, I share these wonderful photos of life in Modena, Italy!
I highly recommend the following products for preparing this recipe!
PIN FOR LATER!
- Roz's Classic Bruschetta
- 4 - 6 boneless, skinless fresh chicken breasts
- 1 cup butter (or olive oil if you don't want the butter)
- 3 Tbsp. Italian herb blend, fresh or dried (ie: oregano, garlic, basil) all minced and blended together
- 4 oz. Italian cheese per chicken breast (soft, easy-to-melt cheese such as Fontina, Mozzarella, etc.)
- Balsamic vinegar to drizzle over chicken when serving
- OPTIONAL: 2 cups Italian-herb seasoned panko
Brush the chicken with melted butter or olive oil.
Sprinkle herbs all over each breast.
Grill until desired doneness; approximately 5 to 8 minutes on each side. Be careful not to overcook.
Place on a serving platter with freshly-prepared Bruschetta (recipe through link provided above) ladled on top of chicken.
Optional: In winter when we eating a bit more heavily, blend the Italian herbs into 2 cups Italian-herb-based panko crumbs. Brush the chicken with butter/oil. Cover the buttered breasts on all sides with the seasoned panko.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
.This post was first
This post was first published in 2015 and re-posted with updated information in 2020.
Do you enjoy La Bella Vita Cucina?
We’d love to have you as part of our community!
Subscribe below to receive a FREE e-Cookbook and all of the latest recipes, travel tips,
and gardening ideas straight into your inbox!