Here is a super easy, fresh summer corn and tomato salad that is packed with as much flavor is it is with vivid color! This side dish is perfect for any summer meal by showcasing garden fresh tomatoes, corn, onions, and onions. And even if you don’t have a green thumb, there’s plenty of local farm produce stands for you to pick up some fresh veggies.
This summer corn salad is also great because you can mix it up in one big bowl so there’s little clean up — which is a big plus in my kitchen routine. Plus you can change up anything that you prefer in the veggie mix . . . it’s just so versatile!
Being from Iowa, we just could not wait for sweet corn every late summer in August. The season isn’t long do we mastered the skill of devouring as much as we could. There was simply a. LOT. of. CORN!! And even though corn is a super carb food, I throw out all the diet rules when it comes to fresh summer corn!
Even throughout the year, we enjoy the corn that we freeze. You can check out some of my family’s favorites such this Grilled Italian Corn on the Cob with Parmesan, Cheesy Pecorino Corn with Herbs, and this Grilled Corn, Black Bean and Avocado Salad with Cilantro Vinaigrette.
- Sweet corn (fresh or frozen)
- Mozzarella balls
- Red onion
- Fresh basil
- Olive oil
- Red wine vinegar
- Salt & pepper
- 4 - 6 ears of in-season, fresh corn, husked and kernels removed
- 3 large, in-season, fresh tomatoes or 2 cups San Marzano small grape/cherry tomatoes, diced
- 2 - 3 bunches green onions, sliced, including the green stems
- 4 - 8oz. tiny mozzarella pearls
- 2 tsps. fresh basil leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tsp. red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Generous amounts of salt and pepper each
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Blanch cook the corn for about 4 minutes and remove from the hot water to stop the cooking. Allow the corn to cool down and then cut the kernels off the cob with a sharp knife.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss all the ingredients together.
- Taste for any more need of salt and pepper, and/or sugar.
Serving Size:1-½ cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 306Total Fat: 15.6ggSodium: 10.5mgmgCarbohydrates: 43gg